Application Of Insect Pheromones In Pest Management
Practical applications of pheromones in pest management can be used in the following ways:
- Trapping for detection by monitoring and surveying.
- Monitoring control efficacy and insecticide resistance, using pheromones as attractants.
- Luring insects to areas treated with insecticide or poison stations.
- Luring insects to areas treated with pathogens, which are then spread by the infected individuals to the rest of the population.
- Mass trapping for population suppression.
- Disrupting communication within the insect population by saturating the area with pheromones. Sex pheromones disrupt mating, resulting in population decline.
- Using “Attract and Kill”, a UV resistant grease like matrix containing the specific insect’s pheromone together with an insecticide; males are attracted to the droplet, try to mate with it and are killed on contact.
- Attract & sterilize.